Friday, December 28, 2007

Ok, although I am still in the U.S., luxuriating in the comforts of home, I have actually begun to mentally prepare myself for Bolivia, which is a big step for me. Up until now I've pretty much just been ignoring it. So the first thing I'm doing is creating this blog that you are currently reading. I was told it's the best way to tell everyone everything without having to write it 18 million times, so that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately I'm computer illiterate, but I plan on working out the kinks before I leave. Hopefully I'll have internet access at my site at least some of the time, so I can post pictures and rant about the food, bugs, etc.
Here's my plan so far:
Jan. 26: fly from Sac town to Arlington, VA where I somehow find my way to the hotel and sleep.
Jan. 27: sleep in and then at 1pm all the fun begins! It's called the "staging event," and basically they just shove as much information they can into us in a short amount of time. That way if someone gets scared and chickens out they can go home without having to find there way out of Boliva.
Jan. 28: more info, more info, more info. Seriously, they have us booked from 8am to 7pm. Yikes!
Jan. 29: bon voyage for Gina!! We fly into Miami, then head off to La Paz, Bolivia where we arrive some time the next morning.

After that I have no idea, but I bet we head over to Cochabamba in some rickety bus thing, get assigned host families, and then meet up for more lessons. I hear the three months of training is really intense. But oh well, better than not telling us a thing! Oh yeah, for those first three months you can reach me by mail at:
Gina Garland, PCT
Cuerpo de Paz
Casilla #1603
Cochabamba, Bolivia
South America

After I get assigned my site for the real deal I'll let you know that address, too.

14 comments:

Traci said...

Hi Gina! It's Traci.

For help with posting pictures:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=41641&topic=12465

For video:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=67428&topic=12464

I don't understand the layout thing, though. You'll have to ask someone else!

Steve said...

Cochobamba! That's a great name!

Sonnjea said...

I agree, Cochabamba is awesome! I hope you can keep posting while you're there.

Have a great time absorbing mucho informacion en poquito tiempo!

Anonymous said...

hello gina

Steve said...

Although I don't put much stock is astrology, the fact that you're a bull AND an ox makes me think there might be something to it!

Anonymous said...

Gina this is to say I love

you dearly and want you to know

I'll be waiting to hear all about

your adventure!

Love Grammie

nancy said...

Gina, so good to hear your voice tonight! Off to your great adventure. Grow, live, learn, Have fun!
Aunt Nancy

nancy said...

hi gina

Anonymous said...

Hey Gina,
I can't believe you will be gone for two and a half years! That is so long. We will miss you at the family reunions and stuff. I'll be thinking of you!


Love,
Lea

Kate said...

ahhh i already miss you!!! darn bolivia for being so far away. boooo. have fun!

Anonymous said...

GINA!!! You HAVE to come back right now! I already miss you, and my phone died before we could say good-bye!!!! What a tragedy! I love you and miss you. Hope you get some action down in bolivia (use protection, you don't know what bugs are down there...hehe)

Nat

Anonymous said...

wOW what a change from life here!










Wow what a change from life here!

so much to learn and get used to !

You will triumph for sure as

asual thats my girl !!

Miss you...love Grammie

Anonymous said...

way to go gina - what a challenge for you, sounds quite fun, sorry about the sunburned nose thingy... let me know if you need any supplies or stuff for where ever your going.. look forward to reading your blog

pauline

Anonymous said...

Gina... everything sound so baaaad! I'm hurting for you !
cant wait to give you one of those
special messages to help you to feel human again !! Take care and come homme soon !!! Love Grammie'