Ok. So I guess I didn’t explain enough about Carnival. It’s a war zone. I’m partially traumatized after only two days of it. Apparently it lasts three weeks. Since we had Monday and Tuesday off, some volunteers and I took a micro (bus) into the city to go to an internet café. Well, once there we got horribly lost (looking for food when all the stores are closed for holiday is not a good thing) until we found our way back to the hotel we stayed at when we first arrived here. Once we knew where we were, we decided to take a relaxing stroll down to the park area. Bad idea. Literally hundreds of people, old and young alike, were at war with water balloons and squirt guns. At the time there were only two girls, so we got killed! We were soaked from head to toe with dirty giardia (sp?) water. Even when we left the park we would get drive-by soakings, or people would dump buckets of water from the buildings above us. It was so much fun, as long as you didn’t think about all the dirty water that just went into your mouth!! It even stopped traffic.
Then today, my family went to a party at the uncle’s house where we had a HUGE water fight! I was picked up and dumped into a pig trough of water. It was sooooo gross! There were buckets of water and shaving cream (yeah, there’s shaving cream everywhere, too) all over the place. A couple of the other volunteers came too. Then the uncle made us all drink “rum” that did not taste like rum and I hope to god I don’t get intestinal troubles from drinking the water here. But when mixed with lots and lots of coke it was pretty good. We then jumped into the back of his heavy lifting truck (I don’t know how else to explain it) with a couple gallons of rum, a 100 gallon bucket of water, a couple bags of water balloons, and some water guns. We then drove down the street of my community soaking anyone we went by. It was so much fun. Until some kids retaliated by throwing buckets of mud on us. At least I hope it was mud, I don’t really want to think about what else it could be.
Two more things I forgot to mention. 1) I don’t have a toilet seat. Yeah, no one has mentioned it, so I don’t know if that’s the norm or not. But I’ve seen it in the back yard just lying there. Whatever, hovering for two years can’t be too bad. 2) I am extremely sun burnt. At 8200ft I’m pretty much touching the sun and this gringa skin dosen’t stand a chance. Even with SPF 50 my nose looks like I’m a perpetually drunk Santa Claus. Oh well. Skin cancer, schmin cancer.
As far as the training goes, we’ve only had a couple classes. We are divided into three groups: agriculture, environmental education, and natural resource management (mine!!). Everyone in natural resource management (7 of us) is focusing on watershed management, which means we’ll most likely be placed in the most remote areas of Bolivia. Other people, say the ones in agrobusiness, will probably be in more urban areas helping people market their goods. I’m actually really excited about my possible projects. The only thing I hate right now is that we’re swamped with reading and group projects. We’re going to have to give a presentation in Spanish and turn in a written report of a community analysis (which is super in-depth) in a couple of weeks. We also have to start our own gardens and produce actual crops by the end of the 11 weeks. And seriously, we’re booked from 8 to past 6 (but that actually turns into past 9 because we have to get home, help cook, eat, and then clean up) everyday except Sunday. I don’t see how we’re going to do all this! But besides all of that, I’m having a really good time. The weather is practically perfect here and everyone is so laid back. But don’t worry yet, I still miss all of you and wish I could see you right now!!! Soon enough. Soon enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
YAY! It sounds like you're having so much fun, albeit a bit overscheduled. And I'm glad you're drinking "rum," keeps your tolerance up for when you get back and celebrate with me ;)! The water balloons sound like a ton of fun! Also a good way to wash clothes...hehe. I miss you G and also I have been writing you lots of letters, so hopefully you will get them fairly soon. Too bad this internet cafe thing is only for a few months.
Love, Nat
Water ballons and shaving cream - just another Nelson family reunion. The pig trough is a good idea. We'll have to consider that in future years.
We love you madly! Gus is getting big (51.5 pounds!) and Idgie is getting well. No red head and no pink armpits. She's still deaf, but so I am.
Gina, I get paid on Friday, so I can put some money into my travel account! Whoohoo! Also, I'm sorry that you gave me some of your green thumb in exchange for some lack-of-tolerance at V that one night. I hope I'm making sense/hope you remember that! Growing things sounds very earthy and very calming. Grad school got super hectic this week--I have sooo much reading and writing to do that I didn't get outside this weekend to enjoy the nice weather we're having! But the good news is that I talked to my advisor and she said I am totally on track to graduate from the MA program this winter! Now, I just have to wait till April to see what my plans for the next couple years are. Thanks for updating us. I miss you and hope you don't have digestion problems because of the water and mud!
I love that they loaded you in the back of the truck to water-bomb any passers-by! (With a few more guns, that could be a Elliott family reunion...)
Cool news about the cell phone too. We miss you kiddo!
Pig troughs and toilet seats in the yard DOES sound like an Elliott family reunion. Maybe we're actually Bolivian? Anyway, another great post, Gina. It's very cool to read about your life there.
WOW! Sounds like a blast. Good thing you are telling all of us this now, because you won't remember all of the details in 2 1/2 years. Lea, two of her friends and I just got back from SunRiver, Oregon. (Remember when you went there as a baby with Erik?) Anyway, we shopped one day, they snowboarded one day, and then we just hung out, watched Across the Universe, and played Scene It. A great girl's weekend. We'll have another one when you get home -- gramma, Lea, you, me and your mom.
Love you! Aunt Nancy
Oh my gosh! Your adventures sound incredible. I'm a bit jealous of your sunburn as it's -10 Centigrade here.
I love and miss you so much G!
Saludos
Alicia
Post a Comment