Ok, so I´ve had a week of rest and I feel sooooo much better. And guess what, I only have one week left!! Yikes!! I´m soooooo scared! I mean, I like my site and everything, but I don´t want to leave Cochabamba or all my trainee friends!! It´s going to be so sad. But anyway, here´s the schedule. Monday and Tuesday it´s class like usual. Spanish, Guarani, and going over our test scores for our technical classes. Yeah, we had tests!! How rude! I though I was done with classes! Guess not. So Wednesday we leave our host families for good and go to the training center with all our stuff for another day of testing and meetings. You know, spanish tests, talks with so and so, and who knows what else. Wed, Thurs, and Fri nights we´ll be staying in a hotel in the city and going to classes at the training center during the day. Friday, however, is our last day and we do the whole swearing in ceremony and then go out to a fancy dinner. I´m excited about that! I hope it´s gringo food!! Saturday we have to take a bike safety class (yeah, are we like 5 years old now?), and then we´re on our own. It´s up to us to get ourselves to our regional cities, and then onto our sites. We have to be there by next Wednesday or else we´re considered lost and they get pissed. My only concern is that I think the road into our site is blockaded right now, so it better open up by next week or we´re screwed.
Oh yeah, this Saturday we had our thank you dinner for our host families. It was soooo much fun! The only crappy part was that we were supposed to eat at 12pm, but didn´t eat until 230pm!! That is so typically Bolivian you don´t even know. I´m going to be the most patient person in the world when I get back, or at least not think it´s weird when people are multiple hours late. The only crappy part was that we had to dance " la cueca" in front of all the families. It´s like the traditional dance of Cochabamba. It involves waving a bandana around (both boys and girls) and stomping your feet a lot. It´s apparantly really pretty when done correctly, but we just looked like we were rioting cowboys running around in circles. Oh well, it was kind of fun. Yeah, so after that ended 3 hours later than it was supposed to, we all went to the city to celebrate some birthdays. We actually found a n "American" bar and it was amazing ly fun. Pool and everything, although they did have this weird bolivian dice game that I guess you just can´t avoid, but no matter. The only weird part was the drunk, short, bolivian dude with a mullet, blue jogging pants (the waterproof kind) and a red sweatshirt running around the bar singing american music. Actually that was pretty entertaining!
Ok, that´s all the news there is for now. I´ll let you know if I can get to my site anytime soon, and if so, I´ll tell you alllll about it! Hope all is going well and I miss you!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
One week left! It's so crazy how fast time goes! I'm so excited for you--this is about the time that your schedule is going to really slow down, right? It might be a niiiice breather.
New in my life: I didn't get into the MFA program at SFSU. I thought I'd be more disappointed than I am, but I'm getting really fed up with the bureaucracy (horrible, way worse than UCSC), the lack of classes (due to a 10% budget cut!), and the fact that my weird writing doesn't fit in with this family-drama-belongs-in-the-New-Yorker stuff that everyone else seems to produce. I'm SO outta here in June 2009! It's just now I have to do some dreaming, figure out where I want to go. Perhaps... Bolivia?
"The drunk, short, bolivian dude with a mullet, blue jogging pants (the waterproof kind) and a red sweatshirt running around the bar singing american music..."
Who says you're not a writer! Nice description!
I ditto This Land. It's good writing! And not the the family-drama-belongs=in-the-New-Yorker stuff, which Traci describes so well. Be true to your voice, Traci. That's the best advice I know.
Oh yeah, I was talking you, wasn't I, GG? :) You rock. I know all of this is old news, and because of EAP who knows when the heck you'll get to your station. But you know what Grampa would say: The joy is in the journey. I love you, little missy. We'll all rooting for you!
Post a Comment