Monday, May 5, 2008

Ok, so the voting for autonomia was yesterday (may4) and this is what happened, as told to me by one of the higher-ups in P.C.:

There was one death reported (an 68-year old man who died from the affects of tear gas in Plan 3000), and twenty injured, including some members of the press. Of the twenty, three were seriously injured. Conflicts took place in MAS strongholds where anticipated and where Peace Corps Volunteers were not located: Yapacani, 4 canadas, San Julian, San Pedro, and a small amount in Montero. In these areas some 35 voter boxes (urnas) were burned. Police acted effectively to limit the violence. Of approximately 800,000 elegible voters, approximately 60% voted. Of the ballots tallied, 86 % voted "yes" on the autonomic statutes and 14% voted "no". To offset the victory, the MAS party organized large protests against the autonomic statutes in La Paz (some 30,000), Cochabamba (some 30,000), and other smaller protests. No violence was associated with these protests. Participants admitted that they would be fined 150 Bolivianos if they did not attend. In Cochabamba a cabildo was held whose conclusions were to ask the Prefect Manfred to resign, Ambassador Goldberg, who they believe backs the autonomia movement, to leave Bolivia, and that a date be set for the public vote to ratify the constitution. President Morales has called for dialogue to discuss the concept of autonomy within the context of the new constitution, not yet ratified. Overall, the day went more smoothly than many anticipated, and was a victory for the opposition to the MAS.

All this means is that all in all, Santa Cruz voted yes for autonomia, but the government says that{s illegal. So, really nothing is happening yet until the prez recognizes this voting as actually being legal (right now he{s saying it{s illegal). But while all that crazy stuff was happening yesterday, I went to the market, took a short walk, layed in the sun, took a shower, read my book, drank hot chocolate, and made a delicious meal of spaghetti and red sauce with mendonite cheese. Therefore, my day was excellent indeed, but not nearly as exciting as all that crap i just mentioned. So don{t be shocked if you hear crazy stuff going on in Bolivia, because i{m most likely just sitting on a bench somewhere reading or talking to the little neighbor lady (who{s absolutely adorable, i might add).
Well, hope you{re all doing good. Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

2 comments:

Traci said...

You're livin' the good life! I wish you could come on the hike too--that'd be so much fun! Although I probably wouldn't get to talk to you while we were hiking 'cause you'd be so far ahead of me... But my friend Tucker and I did trek 11 miles around SF on Saturday, so that was really fun! The bottoms of my feet kind of hurt now (I need new shoes), but it was soooo worth it. I just hope I can do the same thing like 8 days in a row at like a bazillion feet above sea level! I haven't heard back from the 2 jobs that I applied to (both YMCA summer camps here in SF), but I'm not really worried about getting them. If I do, then I get to work with kids and get money. If I don't, then I'll figure something out for the money, go camping, backpacking, and take a trip to Gettysburg! The other good and surprising news is that I'm getting published again! I'd submitted this short story to an online lit mag called Toasted Cheese a while back, and since they take so long to respond, I'd totally forgotten about it until they sent me a Congratulations! email on Friday. (Also, Diane, if you're reading: Thank you for the advice. I've definitely been keeping that in mind.) I'm way excited. I MIGHT even start submitting to actual print publications soon! (Maybe.) Anyway, two more weeks left, but the reading/writing thing has been sharply diminished, so I'm going to find a cool card to send to you in your new home. I bought all these international postage stamps and haven't gotten a chance to use them yet! I miss you and can't wait for the card!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on autonomia! I read everything I can find on it - and there are, with a (hopefully not too) front row seat. It's a good reminder that as much as we may get into issues and politics (like I am here in America), life really comes down to decent people trying to live a decent life.

Congrats on Toasted Cheese, Traci! Let us know when we can find it online. (Though I'll be looking.) I love short stories - it's the best and hardest writing out there, in my opinion. Keep sending those babies out!